By: DAVID G. GREINEDER, IOM, ABC PA DIRECTOR OF GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
First, thank you for your membership with ABC. I understand there are challenges facing every member and realize advocacy may be the farthest thing from your minds. Please know that while our tactics have changed, ABC PA remains at the forefront in communicating our message.
I want to share the most recent advocacy activities we initiated in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. As we engage with elected officials, we are very clear that our top priority is the health and safety of our incredibly talented and skilled workers. We continue to call on the Governor to work with us to ensure construction sites adhere to public health protocols and allow companies that can adhere to those standards to be allowed to work, if they so choose.
The following are just a few examples of how ABC PA is working through these unprecedented times for the merit shop:
- ABC PA issued a press release asking the Governor to issue a waiver for the construction industry. The release was picked up by several media outlets.
- ABC PA issued two action alerts urging Governor Wolf to recognize construction as a life sustaining business. These alerts generated over 500 messages to the Governor.
- ABC PA joined forces with 20 construction, consulting, and design industries to ask the Governor to recognize residential and commercial construction as a life sustaining business. Click here to read the letter.
- ABC PA issued letters to the Governor, Legislature, and Legislative leaders asking that considerations be given to the construction industry.
- ABC PA has been monitoring revisions to the Governor’s executive order and advising members when changes are made.
- ABC PA has been communicating with legislative champions voicing support for the construction industry. We are keeping a running list of those champions and have been sending our thanks and support.
- House Speaker Mike Turzai (R-Allegheny) and Senators Dave Arnold (R-Lebanon), Camera Bartolotta (R-Washington), John DiSanto (R-Dauphin) and Dan Laughlin (R-Erie) will soon introduce legislation that would require the Secretary of the Department of Community and Economic Development to issue a waiver for all private and public construction, as long as jobsites are adhering to the mitigation guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control. We will keep ABC members apprised of actions surrounding that legislation.
- Waiver Request: If your business submitted an early waiver request through the email address and NOT the Department of Community and Economic Development’s webform, please re-submit the request using the webform linked here. All waivers must be submitted by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 3.
- School Construction: According to the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s website, if your business is working on school construction projects, a waiver is not needed; however, decisions to proceed are to be made by the local school district and with the guidance of your attorney.
Thank you again for your membership in ABC and your support of free enterprise in construction. We have work to do, but we will get through it. We are in this together.
If you are not signed-up to receive email alerts, please download the “ABC Action App” from the app store on your mobile device, or at abc.org/abcaction.
Posted April 1, 2020