By: David G. Greineder, IOM, ABC Pennsylvania Director of Government Affairs
As you know, ABC Pennsylvania is comprised of four regional chapters with nearly 1,400 member companies who collectively employ over 65,000 Pennsylvanians. Our advocacy efforts do not come without the commitment and participation of our members – and we have a lot to be proud of in 2022.
Thank you for your dedication and support to this association. As we look back at our work this past year, I wanted to preview a few of our accomplishments so we don’t lose sight of what we accomplished. We had an active year providing detailed input on legislative proposals, collaborating with coalition partners on various bills, and holding successful events. Our notable accomplishments include:
• ABC Eastern Pennsylvania successfully tabled local ordinances in Allentown and Abington Township that would have cut out contractors from public work bids;
• ABC Eastern Pennsylvania successfully challenged the City of Philadelphia in stringent new interpretations of apprenticeship standards that would have stripped licenses of registered apprentices;
• ABC PA successfully defeated a bill that would have required contractors to register with the state in order to conduct business;
• ABC PA successfully blocked a bill that would have required contractors to be listed on building permits under the direction of the building code official;
• ABC PA successfully stalled a bill that would have added additional requirements to contractors under the E-Verify law;
• ABC PA testified before the House Labor & Industry Committee on apprenticeship rules;
• ABC PA chapters hosted roundtables with Republican and Democratic members of the House Labor & Industry Committee on apprenticeship ratios;
• ABC PA held a successful Legislative Summit, where all chapters provided input on a strategic plan for 2023-24;
• ABC PA provided information to ABC members on candidates running for state and federal office;
• ABC PA board members submitted and published letters to the editor on energy policies;
• ABC PA co-signed coalition letters on energy policies;
• ABC PA commented on regulations that would impact the commercial construction industry;
• ABC PA successfully engaged chapters and put together robust strategic plans.
As we approach 2023, do not get totally distracted by the election. ABC has a future and a purpose no matter who wins and who loses. By the time you read this article, we should know who the next U.S. Senator and governor will be. We will also know which political party controls the General Assembly, and who won over 50 open seats. Next year, ABC PA will be focused on meeting these new elected officials and educating them on who we are and what we do. It will certainly be a wild and interesting new year. Buckle up!
If you are not signed-up to receive email alerts, please download the “ABC Action App” from the app store on your mobile device or at abc.org/abcaction.
Posted Nov 1, 2022