How to Register – view helpful registration tips
Employment Laws, Compliance, and Minimizing Risk – Part of the Human Resource Management Academy
November 20 @ 8:00 am - 10:00 am$140 – $1850
Employment Laws, Compliance, and Minimizing Risk
Part of the Human Resources Management Academy
November 20, 2019 / 8:00 am – 10:00 am
Get up to speed on the legal aspects of HR legal and compliance issues. Understand the laws affecting employment, their impact, and why are they important to the company: Discrimination/ Harassment: Recognition and Prevention Strategies; Federal & State: Agencies and Enforcement; Job Classification: Exempt/Non-exempt, Wage/Hour violations, FLSA; Union/Non-Union: Concepts and Avoidance Strategies; Employee Handbook: Key Policies. Apply knowledge gained in this session through case studies of employment legal decisions.
Each session approved for 1.84 PDCs toward SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP
The Human Resource Management Academy provides specialized information and skills training on the key issues, basic laws, and best practices necessary for companies to compete for the labor needed to drive their businesses successfully. This comprehensive course of twelve sessions covers the administration of strategic, operational, and administrative roles within an organization: partnering, support systems, leadership, managing change, communication, strategic planning, organizational culture, needs, employee advocacy, safety, compliance, ethics in business, and more!
Those assigned HR responsibilities must be knowledgeable resources for the organization…able to provide current up to date and accurate information, advice and answers on everything from government regulatory issues and benefits administration and all points in-between. Sign up for the entire series for “big picture” comprehensive learning or opt in to individual sessions for those whose job performance duties may be more focused.
This session approved for 1.84 credit hours
Increase Your Understanding & Learn:
- The primary employment laws that impact HR processes
- Illegal discrimination and harassment risks and prevention strategies
- Ways to minimize employment legal risk
- Employment laws, regulations and their agencies
- How to properly classify jobs as exempt or nonexempt under the FLSA
- Ways to minimize risk associated with wage and hour violations
- Basic concepts of unions and union avoidance strategies
- Key policies contained in an Employee Handbook
- Employment laws
- Discrimination and harassment
- Employment legal risk
- Agencies enforcing employment laws
- Classifying jobs under the FLSA
- Wage and hour violations
- Unions and union avoidance
- Employee Handbooks
- Employment law case studies
Sessions in this Series:
Click for session details or register for individual sessions:
- October 16, 2019: Introduction – Human Resources Strategic, Operational, and Administrative Roles
- November 20, 2019: Employment Laws, Compliance, and Minimizing Risk
- December 18, 2019: Job Descriptions, HR Recordkeeping and Reporting
- January 15, 2020: Effective Recruiting & Hiring
- February 19, 2020: Behavioral-based Interviewing
- March 18, 2020: Employment Assessments
- April 15, 2020: Coaching Employees and Performance Feedback and Appraisal
- May 20, 2020: Conducting Investigations, Disciplining, and Terminating Employees
- June 17, 2020: Employee Relations and Engagement
- July 15, 2020: Employee Orientation, Training, and Development
- August 19, 2020: Pay, Benefits, and Other Rewards
- September 16, 2020: Safety, Security, Health, and Leaves of Absence Management
Can’t make a session? Substitution is permissible.
Join the Series at Any Point in the Cycle and SAVE with the Full Series Rate!
Who Should Attend:
This offering is a “must experience” for those responsible for any aspect of Human Resources Management and for all who want a comprehensive understanding of the big picture of “people management” and tools for successful navigation of the processes! Ideal for those that are or have been in like positions for dedicated time periods and are looking for current and relevant information to keep their skills and knowledge up to date; as well as those new to the position or those considering or being considered for a position or dedicated function within HR Management. You don’t know – what you don’t know! This course creates awareness as well as offering essential learning opportunities. At least one person in every company should attend.
Jim Weischedel, Human Resources Consultant, Samaritan Business Consulting – Jim’s passion is to help organizations improve and individuals grow and develop. He helps organizations in the areas of staffing, assessments, HR compliance, training, employee engagement, leadership coaching and development, performance management, and many other human resources areas. Jim has over 20 years of executive-level human resources experience within several industries. He holds an MBA from Penn State University and a Bachelors of Secondary Education from Millersville University. He is certified as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) from Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI), and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) through the Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM).
Preferred registration date: 7 days prior to session date
Price includes: various course materials, light refreshment, certificate of completion.
** Entire series participants also receive HR Administration Manual and individual assessment.
ABC Members may select the option to be invoiced. Non-members will need to please pay at time of registration either via credit card payment online or by calling Michele at the Chapter office: (717) 653-8106.